Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Who knew, I'm a movie critic!

I was a little worried about tonight's post, as you will read it is negatively themed and that would be two in a row in which I sound like the village curmudgeon. Lucky for me we just returned from a really good music performance. You still have to read my grumbling today, but tomorrow's post will be cheerful!

Tuesday December 20 2016.

We went to the movies today. We chose the film “Manchester by the sea” starring Casey Affleck. The advertisements hinted at some mysterious tragedy that the lead character would have to confront when he returns to his hometown of Manchester. Rotten tomatoes critic's gave it a 97% positive rating so it looked like it might be a good movie.

Boy was I wrong, it was remarkable only because it was the first time I have ever left a theater before the movie ended. We stuck it out for an hour and a half and couldn't stand it any longer. Millie gave it a 1-10 rating of ½ and that was for the scenery. I gave it a ½, I don't know why, it had no redeeming values.



The 2 hours and 17 minute movie is a awkward glimpse into to the life of a dysfunctional apartment maintenance man (Casey Affleck) and his equally dysfunctional family, made worse by constantly flash-backing to their dysfunctional past. It is terribly slow, filled with profanity and underage teen sex. It is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Even if you try to justify the struggling drama as one of the artsy genre's, it would still be a disaster. Call it a Character Study, but it fails to deliver. They never expand the main character beyond brooding loner for the entire film. As a Family Saga It would have been better if they told the story (what little plot there was) in chronological order instead of jumping back and forth via flashbacks.

Save your money, stay home, turn on the TV and watch.....anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment