Saturday, April 23, 2016

Better late than never

April 23 2016

Once again I have procrastinated writing the last posting for the Dispatch. It seems once we get home there's a flurry of activity and the blog is forgotten. My last posting covered up to March 25th and we had moved to the Orlando Thousand Trails Campground, site B-24.

Local singing evanglist's


There are still quite a few RV's here but The park activities are winding down. Entertainment at the campground is down to the singing evangelists and Karaoke. 

Clay and Rebecca are also back in Orlando, they went to a friends house for their week out of the campground. I also got to see two of my Chrysler coworkers. Gary Wyatt, Ed Bibey, they and their wives have been wintering here for many years. I also ran into my RV friends Jim and Martha Cavaugh, They are frequent visitors to Myrtle Beach and maybe we'll get together this spring.

The slower pace at the campground was OK with me because I had come down with what I think is pollen allergies. Whatever it is, I still have a persistent post nasal drip and that rankles my nerves, because I'm old and tough and I don't get sick!

Now from my softer side; Millie and I have been watching the sixth season of Downton Abby. After watching the final show we went back and starting watching it from Season one. We watched two episodes per night reaching the end of season five a couple days after we got home. I know, it's soap opera-ish, but I did learn about Edwardian England so it was educational. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!



On April 4th we departed our winter home, refueling in Clermont before starting our journey north. We decided not to join the mass exodus of snowbirds leaving Florida on the interstates, instead opting for less hectic local roads. Our route was mostly on highway 19 through the Ocala National Forest.
(41.588 gallons, $1.97 per gallon, total=$82.30)

Over nighting at Walmart


We drove 377 miles to a Walmart just off exit eight near Hardeeville South Carolina. We had driven most of the way through Georgia on routes 301 and 17. We jumped on I-95 at Savannah and drove it the short distance to exit eight. By evening there were 14 RV's parked for the night, most were like us, snowbirds heading north after wintering in Florida. Everyone was gone by nine the next morning, we were among the last to leave as we only had a short distance to drive and couldn't arrive at Hunting Island State Park too early.


Walmart to Hunting Island State Park



We refueled at the Kangaroo Express adjacent to Walmart, this would be our last stop for fuel, we are less than 200 miles from home. Today's short drive took us through the historic town of Beaufort. Chartered in 1711, it is the second oldest city in South Carolina. Beaufort is located in the heart of South Carolina's Low country, it is renowned for maintaining its historic character by preservation of antebellum architecture.
(49.244 gallons, $1.84 per gallon, total sale = $91.05)

Southern Charm


Route 21 from Beaufort took us over islands and salt marsh as we headed east to the sea barrier called Hunting Island. Historically, the island is noted for it's lighthouse which dates back to 1875, but most people are here for the beach. Our campsite was only about 100 feet from the wide sandy shore. Our total driving distance for today was 38 miles.

Hunting Island Lighthouse


We had planned on a two night interlude at the state park but left after only one. Day one was sunny and windy. We did spend the day on the beach, sitting with backs to the breeze and faces to the sun was comfortable, but walking down the shore required sweatshirts or jackets. By late afternoon the wind had increased to 20-25mph. Before we went indoors for the evening I put away our chairs and tables, I was afraid the wind would have blown them away. The wind blew all night and only increased in the morning. It didn't take us long to decide to leave.

Millie at Hunting Island


Highway 17 is our preferred north/south road in Eastern South Carolina. Four lanes for most of the way it is a pleasant country drive, the only city traffic being Charleston. It only took us about 4 hours to drive the 176 miles to our home on 71st Ave in Myrtle Beach. We arrived on April 6th.

Hunting Island to Myrtle Beach


Other than unloading our provisions and clothes the motorhome has been untouched since our return. We schedule annual wellness visits for ourselves and Maggie during our time at home and we working our way through them. I had committed myself to several projects for the HOA here at the condo and have started them. Millie has been un-cluttering; she's gone through her closets, the kitchen cabinets and delivered a car load of things to the church thrift store downtown.

I have to stop writing now, polished or not I've got to get it uploaded today before I procrastinate again. Anyhow thanks for following us, we'll be back online for the summer trip to Canada!

PS: Shortly after getting home Millie and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary.

This is what "Good Karma" looks like



No comments:

Post a Comment